Guano and Nitrates Review - No Quarter MagazineNo Quarter Magazine
Guano + Nitrates" from the Valparaiso Men's Chorus, featuring the Tin Men. It's an album of traditional shanties. But it is very different from other albums of traditional shanties. It is sung as if by a pub full of drunken rowdies... sung the way sailors would have sung, with no holds barred, cursing and swearing like... well... drunken sailors.
Royal Fingerbowl - Now available!
- Alex has finally swung a deal with the fine folks at (record company to go unnamed) and he can now offer more of his back catalog - Royal Fingerbowl's legendary 'Happy Birthday Sabo!' and 'Greyhound Afternoons'. Go check out the music page for free samples and a link to get one of these fine disks in your hands. There is no sayin' how long the supply will last, so get them while you can!
- Another run of Banjaxed was pressed and it is now available in disk and digital download.
- A blogger named 'authur' attended the last Valparaiso Men's Chorus event at the Saturn Bar. Check out his take on the event here.
"The band plays these old songs as if they were born to them, skipping reverence and piousness and going straight to their dirty hearts"
Whoa, this is sad. Almost five months since the last diary posting. While I am Extraordinarily Busy, there is really no excuse for this. And you would think that I'd be fixing to burst with news and information, but that isn't the case. Sure there are the usual updates, such as the news that there was another performance of sea shanties on November 2, which was triumphant and epochal. The Valparaiso Men's Chorus got its collective shit together and learned another set of music not on the CD. I harbor the faintest of hopes that we can make another CD. I can't see why not. Maybe the chorus could go out and sell magazine subscriptions to help raise the money. I think it would be cute to see Fayard and Starnes knocking on doors and putting on an earnest face. We could offer people Ranger Rick and Boy's Life. If those magazines still exist. Perhaps a sailing magazine or one devoted to...
- The Thursday evening DBA shows have been going well. There will be a great line up of guests for the December shows including: Bill Malchow, The Jackals (Cabral/Freilich/Garrison), John Vidocovich, Walt and Auroa, Simon Lott and Brian Coogan. Always something familiar. Always something new. Always something that you should not have missed. What else could you be doing on Thursday night?
- Check out Zack Smiths Chaz Fest 2007 Photos. Nice Gallery of Chaz Fest gayety. Thanks Zack.
- We have sold out of legendary 007 CD 'Studied Rudeness'. Never fear rock steady fans, the new 007 disk is in final production and will be available in Jan or Feb ohh eight. Don't miss out on this one. Buy early and buy often.
is proud to present
An Evening of
3067 St. Claude Ave.
9th ward, USA
11pm on the night of
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 2, 2007
View Show Poster
So people have been asking me more and more when I'm going to crank upthe act again. Looks like I'll be taking over for Paul Sanchez over at the DBA Thursday evenings from 7-10. No cover, hassle free entertainment on a school night. more than likely i'll have lots of special guests to keep things interesting.
The usual apologies for not posting one of these for so long, etc. What can I say? Its been a big spring and now that its officially summer i can see the days stretching out ahead of me like a wild highway out in Utah. They're tearing up the street in front of the house and there's dust everywhere and that beeping sound whenever the heavy trucks go in reverse. They repaved St. Claude Avenue less than five years ago and we're all wondering why they're doing it again so soon, especially as it was one of the better preserved thoroughfares. Maybe it's part of a maintenance schedule but graft is the more logical explanation, especially when you know Burgundy Street just two blocks away has been a nightmare for years. You don't even want to ride your bike down Burgundy. But even Burgundy pales in comparison to the condition of just about every street north of St. Claude (the virtual...
007 New Orleans Jazz Festival Live recording is available!
The fine people at Munck Music have made this years 007 performance available both on disk and as a digital download. Get it at Munck Music
1. Woman Don't Want Bang Around (2:42)
2. Honour Your Mother And Father (4:02)
3. Tears On My Pillow (3:26)
4. It's You (3:02)
5. Fortune Teller (3:37)
6. Stage Banter (0:36)
7. Long Time (3:45)
8. Baba Boom (4:59)
9. Unity (2:34)
10. No, No, No (6:00)
11. Stage Banter (1:12)
12. True Love (3:51)
Chaz Festival review and video in New Yorker Blog
Chaz Festival review and video in New Yorker Blog - The New Orleans Journal
Great Blog entry and video of the Chaz Festival.
Look for the May 11 entry. Here
Interview in Antigravity Magazine
Interview in Antigravity Magazine - Your New Orleans Music and Culture Alternative
Alex McMurray talks sea shanties, The Tin Men, bringing back Royal Fingerbowl,
and of course, crumudgeons. - by Jason Songe
Interview in Antigravity MagazineAntiGravity Magazine
Alex McMurray talks sea shanties, The Tin Men, bringing back Royal Fingerbowl, and of course, crumudgeons.
Tin Men - LiveNewOrleans.comliveneworleans.com
They [the Tin Men] sound exactly like New Orleans sounds in my head. The amount of genres they mix might be unparalleled locally. So, I love them...
SECOND ANNUAL CHAZFEST COMES TO THE NINTH WARD
It's the party so nice we had to do it twice. That's right, you heard it here first and make no mistake the SECOND ANNUAL CHAZFEST will take place RAIN OR SHINE on THURSDAY, MAY 3 at THE TRUCK FARM located at 3020 St. Claude Ave in the fashionable Upper 9/LowBy area. The doors will be open at 11 and the bands will go from noon until 10pm. It's a must-see event you will find nowhere else! Chazfest is the only place you'll be able to see any of these great artists in a festival setting in the greater New Orleans area this spring.
And this year there's even MORE Chazfest, as we've added a second stage.
We've also got more great food this time around. Returning from last year are Pete and Jenny from The Joint with New Orleans' premier BBQ. Mz Gianna will feature a veggie "green" gumbo, and Karen Brady and Georgia Rhody will be serving burritos and margaritas.
We will have plenty of...
SEA SHANTY CD RELEASE SCHEDULED FOR SAT. APRIL 21
|An evening of mayhem, rum and song has been scheduled for Saturday, April 21 at the Saturn Bar, located at 3067 St. Claude Ave in glamorous Bywater USA. Come and see, for their first public appearance, The Valparaiso Men's Chorus as they perform your seafaring favorites! Thrill to the robust and ribald maritime sounds of yore! The action begins at 10:30.||
(click for larger image)
And for the first time ever available ANYWHERE!